The Bureau of Land Management Uncompahgre Field Office is seeking public comments on 21 Special Recreation Permit applications, including six new applications and 15 applications for renewals.
The BLM issues commercial SRPs to provide recreation businesses the opportunity to operate on BLM public lands, to provide the public the opportunity to use a guided service for recreation activities, to implement recreation management decisions and to ensure a fair return to the public for commercial use of public lands.
The new SRP applicants are:
• Colorado Backcountry (Ben & Jane Pritchett) for guided mountain bike rides within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
• Gateway Canyons (Mandy Oberholzer) -- Educational and adventure tours in Roc Creek, Hanging Flume, La Sal Creek and Paradox Valley.
• Mountain Trip (Todd Rutledge) -- rock climbing within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
• Mountaineer Outfitters (Gregory & Cassie Moats) -- lion hunting in Game Management Units 60, 61, 62, 64, 65 & 70 within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
• Timber to Table (Adam Gall) -- big game hunting in GMUs 52 and 521 within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
• Virtus Tactical & Defensive Training, LLC (Robert Ballard) -- firearms training along Landfill Road within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
The SRP renewal applicants include:
• All Out Outfitters (Jacob Robbins) -- big game hunting in GMUs 60, 61, 62 & 65 and lion hunting in all GMUs within the Uncompahgre Field Office excluding Dominguez Escalante National Conservation Area.
• Bodhi Expeditions (Brady Dunn) -- lion hunting & wildlife photography in all GMUs in Uncompaghre Field Office.
• Canyon Passages (Lance Bender) -- raft/float on the Lower Gunnison and Dolores rivers within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
• Centennial Canoe (Marty Genereux) -- canoeing on the Gunnison River from Forks to Delta.
• Crested Butte Angler (Jason White) -- walk/wade and float fishing on the Gunnison River from Forks to Austin. J & D Outfitters & Guide Service (Doyle Worbington) -- big game & lion hunting in GMU 411.
• Jackson Outfitters (Roy Jackson) -- big game & turkey hunting in all GMUs within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
• Little Cone Outfitter (Roy Hutt) -- big game hunting in GMU 70E.
• Mark Davies Guide Service (Mark Davies) -- lion hunting in GMUs 60, 61, 62, 411, 52, and 521 within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
• National Outdoor Leadership Academy (Andy Blair) -- rock climbing in Paradox Valley.
• Needle Rock Outfitters (James Zeldenthuis) -- big game hunting in GMUs 52, 53, 63 & 521 and lion hunting in all GMUs within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
• Saddle Mountain Outfitters (Lawrence Zeldenthuis) -- big game hunting in GMU 63 - specifically Black Ridge, Green Mountain, Cedar Point and Saddle Mountain.
• Telluride Academy (Luke Brown) -- climbing in the Paradox Valley, guided mountain biking/hiking in Carpenter's Ridge, and kayak/raft San Miguel and Gunnison rivers.
• Telluride Snowmobile Adventures (Mike Doherty -- rafting, floating and fishing as well as walking, wade fishing on the San Miguel River.
• Weimer Hunting Camp (Jody Weimer) -- big game and lion hunting in GMUs 61, 62, and 70E within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
• Wilderness Aware (Joe Greiner) -- rafting, floating and fishing in the Gunnison Gorge NCA and wilderness and Dolores River within the Uncompahgre Field Office.
Details about SRP applications are available for review in the Montrose Public Lands Center located at 2465 S. Townsend Avenue in Montrose or at www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ufo/recrea
tion/special_recreation.html. The BLM requires SRPs for commercial activities as well as for competitive and organized group activities or events on BLM public lands.
The BLM is soliciting comments on such issues as resource concerns, compliance history, health and safety, conflicts and diversity of services. These comments will help the BLM determine whether the proposed SRPs support the BLM's objectives in recreation management and resource protection.
Written comments may be submitted by mail, email or fax. Please be specific in describing your concerns or how the proposal may affect you. Please send comments no later than Wednesday, March 2. Send written comments to Wanda Lassiter, Park Ranger/Permit Administrator, Uncompahgre Field Office, 2465 South Townsend Ave., Montrose, CO 81401, email@example.com or fax to 970-240-5367.
Delta's second annual "Kickoff to Christmas" takes place Saturday, Nov. 25. This event is sponsored by the Delta Area Chamber of Commerce and First Colorado National Bank.