At its August meeting, the Cedaredge Town Board named four structures to the Cedaredge Historic Property Inventory. They are the Bolton residence at 380 W. Main Street, The Hawkins Barber Shop at 145 W. Main Street, Giradet's Feed Store at 235 W. Main Street and The Hawkins Maternity Home and residence at 213 SW 3rd.
• The Bolton Residence: Many of the buildings that were built during the early 20th century were built of Delta yellow brick. It was built in 1907-1908. Dr. Bolton hauled the brick from Delta to build his house. After he had hauled most of the brick for his home, he also hauled some of the first loads to build the New Baptist Church.
Dr. L.C. Bolton was an early doctor to the area and became one of the best doctors of the area for many years. The building has contributed to the Main Street of Cedaredge along with the Baptist Church. They just go together. There has very little change to the exterior of the house, except when the kitchen and bathroom were added in 1914. A new kitchen and bathroom were built on the northeast corner about 1914 after the new town water system was put in. The upstairs bathroom was put in about 1970 when Pastor Gill Marvin lived there.
The interior has had paneling put on the walls in the dining room and part of the living room. Also carpet is now on the old hard wood floors. The interior of the house has very nice fret wood work between living room and dining room and a very nice corner hutch.
The upper story sunroom was used at times for patients.
After two years of medical practice in Kentucky, Dr. Bolton and family came to Cedaredge in 1906.
He was a familiar figure in the Surface Creek Valley with his horse and buggy or on horseback. Later he owned one of the first automobiles in the valley and used it when it wasn't muddy.
In WWI, Dr. Bolton answered the call for medical service. He went in a lieutenant and when he left he was a lieutenant colonel.
When he retired from medical practice he engaged in cattle ranching on Cedar Mesa and a cow camp on Milk Creek. For additional information see Hazel Austin's book, "Surface Creek."
The building's current use is as parsonage for the First Baptist Church.
• The Hawkins Barber Shop: George Hawkins was a barber in Cedaredge from about 1904. Neil Crawford was the barber in this building during the 1950's.
The builder/contractor for the Hawkins Barber Shop was probably W.V. Bouldin; he was the one who had the molds for the concrete block at that time. During this period of time there were several concrete buildings built in town, some were houses and others were businesses.
According to a contemporary account, barber Neil Crawford completely modernized and equipped the building with all new furnishings in 1958 before Tony Kop took over as barber in 1960. "The building adds to the historic district as the only historic barber shop to be located on the same property for over 100 years," states supporting documentation.
• Giradet's Feed Store: In 1912, W.S Giradet applied to construct a brick and stone building on what is now West main Street.
During the 1920s, the building served as a feed store owned by Giradet. It was also the Fred Leonard grocery from 1930 to 1945 and then a grocery run by Frank Graham from 1945-1949.
From 1947-1985 a number of sale transactions are recorded for the building.
The building is constructed of Delta Yellow brick. It has served as home for a number of businesses over the years including Hart's Grocery, Karrakers Variety and Dry Goods, Western Auto, and the Shadow Rose Flower Shop from 1986 to 1989.
Since 1996 it has served as the Cedaredge Town Hall.
• The Hawkins Maternity home and George and Florence Hawkins home: Lot owner Nick Shelby sold the lot to Ray Hamilton in 1913 and may have built the building while he owned it.
Virgel Bouldin and Robert James are the likely builders. Bouldin built several buildings of the cast concrete block in the 1913-1930 time period.
Florence Hawkins was born Florence Jones in 1897 in Farm Ridge, Kan. She and her husband George Hawkins, came to Cedaredge in 1905. Florence was a midwife. The home closed in 1953 after more than 225 babies has been born there.
Hawkins operated a barber shop and she operated the maternity home. Florence Hawkins was a midwife from about 1933 to 1953 and delivered a lot of babies in her home. The only hospital was in Delta 15 miles away.
The structure is located at 213 SW 3rd. The current owner is Joseph J. Berger.
Research on the structures and references for the inventory listing were compiled by Ronn Brewer of Cedaredge.