Cedaredge Community United Methodist Church celebrates 120 years of spreading the gospel in the Surface Creek area in February. The public is invited to attend the festivities during a two-day celebration.
A potluck dinner kicks off the event at noon Saturday, Feb. 11. Bring a covered dish and join the congregation for an afternoon of fun, food and fellowship. A special program with songs, skits and interviews follows the meal in the lower level Fellowship Hall.
On Sunday, Feb. 12, a special service in the sanctuary led by Pastor Joe Agne will be followed by an old-fashioned fried chicken dinner with anniversary cake and ice cream. Reservations for the dinner can be made by calling the church office at 856-3696 before Friday, Feb. 10. A program follows.
Cedaredge Community United Methodist Church began on a winter day in February 1897. Rev. John Wood, pastor of the Delta Methodist Episcopal Church, traveled by horse and buggy up the side of Grand Mesa to meet with a group of residents in the Cedaredge area who wished to start a Methodist church. On that day, the church was officially organized. In 1899, the first appointed minister, F.A. Briggs, and family arrived to hold services in area homes. Since that time, 48 pastors have filled the pulpit.
Shortly after, a log building was erected just north of Cedaredge which was later moved into Cedaredge. Several moves and buildings later, the present "rock church on the corner" was begun in 1919. Because of the flu epidemic, work was postponed until 1920-21.
With help from the Calendar Club, the women's organization, monies were raised to begin construction. The ladies worked hard serving meals for special events and other organizations. A typical farm sale luncheon menu consisted of one boiler of soup, one boiler of coffee, 300 buns, 50 pies, 200 doughnuts, a gallon of cream and 20 pounds of meat for sandwiches -- all of which sold for 10 cents each.
The Cedaredge Community United Methodist Church was founded by people who believed in the teachings of Jesus Christ. This doctrine has followed down through the 120 years of church existence. The public is invited to join in the celebration Feb. 11 and 12.
On Dec. 4 Delta County Commissioners Doug Atchley, Mark Roeber and Don Suppes denied the application of Paonia Holdings, LLC for a change of land use for the property at 41322 Highway 133, with an adjacent residence at 41402 Highway 133 and an ancillary property at 16180 Stevens Gulch Road.
The property is owned by Bowie Resources, LLC, and was formerly used as a coal load-out site.