Delta County is one of five Colorado counties that is StormReady. StormReady is a nationwide community preparedness program that uses a grassroots approach to help communities develop plans to handle all types of severe weather.
StormReady uses a grassroots approach to help communities develop plans to handle all types of severe weather, from tornadoes to tsunamis. The program encourages communities to take a new, proactive approach to improving local hazardous weather operations by providing emergency managers with clear-cut guidelines on how to improve their hazardous weather operations. To be officially StormReady, a community must:
• Establish a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center.
• Have more than one way to receive severe weather warnings and forecasts and to alert the public.
• Create a system that monitors weather conditions locally.
• Promote the importance of public readiness through community seminars.
• Develop a formal hazardous weather plan, which includes training severe weather spotters and holding emergency exercises.
Food For Thought/Vision Charter Academy has been selected as a State Farm Neighborhood Assist® Top 200 finalist and needs your help by voting for them to receive a $25,000 grant from State Farm®. From now until Aug. 24 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, U.S. residents who are 18 and older with a valid email address can vote for their favorite cause at https://www.neighborhoodassist.com/entry/2012962.