Richard "Dick" B. Wellington died May 14, 2016, at his home in Cedaredge. He was 92.
A celebration of life will be held at 10 a.m., Thursday, May 26, at Cedaredge Community United Methodist Church with Rev. Christy Tullis officiating. Inurnment will follow at Cedaredge Cemetery.
Mr. Wellington was born in Caribou, Maine, Jan. 23, 1924. While growing up in Caribou he participated in scouts, music, sports and church activities. He graduated from Caribou High School in 1941 and attended Northeastern University in Boston, Mass.
In 1943 he volunteered for military service in the 10th Mountain Division and served as a ski and climbing instructor at Camp Hale in Colorado and Seneca, W.Va. He served in the North Apennine Mountains in Italy where he participated in the assault and capture of Riva Ridge and the drive to the Po Valley. He was wounded on March 3, 1945, and returned to the U.S.
He moved to Colorado where he became a ski instructor and coach of the Western State College ski team at the Cement Creek ski area near Crested Butte. While a student at WSC, he taught skiing, surveying, mathematics and climbing. He organized the WSC Ski Club, the first WSC Winter Carnival and the first WSC Intercollegiate Ski Meet. He was member of the ski team and Theta Chi Fraternity, and is in the 1948-1949 edition of Who's Who in American Universities and Colleges. He received a bachelor of arts degree in mathematics in 1949.
In 2009 he was inducted into the Western State College Mountaineer Sports Hall of Fame as a member of the ski team from 1946 to 1948.
Mr. Wellington married Florence "Bernie" Beer of Florence in 1947. They lived in Pueblo, Climax and Frisco before retiring and moving to Cedaredge in 1980.
Mr. Wellington worked as an engineer for Colorado Fuel and Iron Company, the Pueblo Ordnance Depot, and Climax Molybdenum Company.
At Climax, he taught skiing, coached junior racers, was president of the Continental Ski Club, was a volunteer ski patrolman and was a member of the National Ski Patrol. In 1957 he received the A.D. Storke Memorial Ski Award for the greatest contribution to skiing by a Climax employee.
While living in Frisco, Mr. Wellington served on the Summit School District RE-1 school board for 16 years, the Frisco Town Board, the Frisco Planning Commission, and was county surveyor. He taught skiing at A Basin and Breckenridge Peak 8, conducted Nordic ski clinics for Summit High School and coached junior and high school ski racers and jumpers. He was a certified race official and jumping judge.
In 1969, he started a land surveying company specializing in mining claims and exploration. He was a certified U.S. mineral land surveyor and worked in most of the western states.
Mr. Wellington was a member of Cedaredge Community United Methodist Church where he was very involved. He served as the lay director of Emmaus Walk #17, acted and directed presentations by the Apple Valley Players, participated in the CCUMC Broadway Tonight musical productions and sang with the Valley Symphony Chorus. He was a life member of Disabled American Veterans Chapter 23 in Delta, VFW Post #9221 in Cedaredge, National Association of the 10th Mountain Division and the Deer Creek Village men's golf club.
Mr. Wellington is survived by two sons, Richard "Brad" (O'Kalla) of Cedaredge and William "Bill" (Linda) of Silverthorne; three daughters, Marka Wellington of Aurora, Coy (Hugh) McTernan of Albuquerque, N.M., and Carrie (Robert) Gruver of Spokane, Wash.; 10 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 59 years, Bernadine.
Memorial contributions may be sent to Wounded Warriors Project or to the Cedaredge Community United Methodist Church.
Taylor Funeral Service and Crematory is handling the arrangements.
View the Internet obituary and sign the online guest registry at taylorfuneralservice.com.
On Dec. 4 Delta County Commissioners Doug Atchley, Mark Roeber and Don Suppes denied the application of Paonia Holdings, LLC for a change of land use for the property at 41322 Highway 133, with an adjacent residence at 41402 Highway 133 and an ancillary property at 16180 Stevens Gulch Road.
The property is owned by Bowie Resources, LLC, and was formerly used as a coal load-out site.