Volunteers at the Shelter Shoppe are working hard on this year's Feb. 11 Crockpots for Critters fundraiser at the Civic Center and they are asking for a little bit of help from the community with improvements being made to this year's event.
• First of all, anyone who wishes to donate a favorite slow cooker recipe for the event is asked to please call Alvena at 856-4515 well ahead of the Feb. 11 event. The volunteers need to know in advance what and how much donated food to expect. Also, Alvena will provide some specific instructions. You will be asked that after preparing your favorite slow cooker recipe at home that you bring it to the Civic Center in a disposable aluminum baking pan covered with foil. Please do not bring your slow cookers to the event because there are just too many cookers and lids for volunteers to keep track of.
• The donated dishes will be accepted at the Civic Center only between 2:30 and 4 p.m. on the day of the fundraiser.
• It is not necessary to donate a slow cooker dish in order to attend and enjoy the event. The Shelter Shoppe volunteers will have lots of food prepared on their own to provide a full meal for the $5 ticket price.
• For those who do contribute favorite recipes to the event, the volunteers ask that they still purchase a $5 ticket because the animal shelter needs money for its work. Even the Shelter Shoppe volunteers themselves who stage the event and also prepare food for guests buy their own $5 tickets.
• The event will run more smoothly and enjoyably for everyone if $5 tickets are purchased ahead of time at the Shelter Shoppe. Having a ticket in hand will send you through the "express lane" to enter the dining hall and avoid waiting in a long line to buy tickets at the door.
• Cash donations for pet food will be accepted. But because of the special dietary needs of the shelter animals, donated pet food cannot be accepted.
The volunteers say they are extremely thankful to the community for making the Crockpots for Critter fundraiser event a success. They say they hope the few new changes will not inconvenience anyone and will make the popular event easier for everyone to enjoy.