Historic school on town register

By Hank Lohmeyer


Historic school on town register | Cedaredge, history, School

Photo by Hank Lohmeyer The Cedaredge High School building has been on the state historic register since 1983.

During its April 21 meeting, the Cedaredge Town Board accepted the Cedaredge High School/Elementary School onto the town's register of historic buildings.

The proposal to do so was submitted by the town's Historic Preservation Committee.

According to documents researched by local author and historian Ron Brewer, the original building was constructed in 1920 and originally housed grades one through 12.

It was added to the state register of historic buildings in 1983.

The present Cedaredge High School was built in 1982, and the original building on North Grand Mesa Drive was used as a middle school until 2004 when the new middle school was built.

The old high school building then sat empty for about six years when, from 2010 to 2012 it was incorporated into plans for the new elementary school. That project included a complete renovation of the 17,500-square-foot original structure and addition of a new 37,000-square-foot section.