Delta firefighters were called to a house fire at 919 Vine Street at 2:18 a.m. Saturday. Five trucks and 17 firefighters responded to the scene, where they were able to contain the fire to the bedroom.
They had to remove some of the ceiling to make sure the fire was fully extinguished. Station manager Jason Cooley reports there was also extensive smoke damage. The cause appears to be accidental.
An American Red Cross disaster action team was dispatched to assess damages and determine how the Red Cross could help those displaced by the fire. In situations such as these, the Red Cross typically provides for essential immediate needs such as housing for the night, food, blankets, comfort kits, clothing and help refilling medications destroyed by the fire.
"With the cold weather upon us Delta Fire Department would like to remind everyone to make sure that their chimneys and wood stoves are clean and in proper working order," Cooley said. "Also make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order, with fresh batteries."blog comments powered by Disqus