A fire fed by natural gas severely damaged a home at 1300 E. 13th Street in Delta, near the intersection of 13th and Pioneer Road.
Delta volunteer firefighters were paged to the scene at 12:26 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
According to Jason Cooley, fire department spokesman, firefighters were on the scene in less than nine minutes after the call, but by the time they arrived the fire had burned almost the entire east side of the house. The blaze was hot enough to melt the gas meter, and the gas line fed the fire. Using a combination of interior attack and hose streams outside the house, the firefighters were able to get the fire under control and eventually turn off the gas at the valve.
"The fire is believed to have started on the outside of the home and spread quickly with the help of the strong winds," Cooley reported.
The cause was not specified.
The Delta Police Department reports the fire is under investigation. No injuries were reported and no criminal activity is suspected.
The Delta Fire Department has responded to 23 calls in March, most of which were controlled burns gone wrong. Cooley reports most have been relatively small in size with little or no property damage. The one exception was Tuesday, March 13, when fire consumed a large amount of gated pipe on 25 Mesa Road.
"We usually have over 60 calls in March or April each year so although we've been busy it hasn't been as bad as it could be," Cooley said. He urges people to call the county burn line at 399-2955 if they plan a controlled burn, even if they have a state burn permit. And remember, on red flag days there is to be no burning of any kind.blog comments powered by Disqus