The Delta County Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) reports that a Delta County man has been diagnosed with hantavirus. He's been hospitalized since March 26.
Hantavirus is caused by exposure to the saliva, droppings and urine of deer mice, and is most commonly transmitted by breathing contaminated dust particles.
Infection can also occur from being bitten by an infected mouse. It cannot be passed from person to person.
When cleaning potentially contaminated areas or trapping mice, HHS advises the the following precautions should be taken to minimize exposure:
• Use only spring-loaded traps for trapping mice indoors. Do not use poison or live traps.
• Spray the area, including areas where mice have been trapped, with a solution of 1⁄2 cup bleach to five cups water (a 1:10 dilution); leave it to soak for 15 minutes.
• Wear rubber gloves. Well-fitted masks or respirators may give added protection.
• Double bag all materials, including dead mice, in plastic bags and seal. Dispose of sealed bags, gloves and masks in an outdoor garbage can.
• Wipe up soaked materials with cloths or paper towels and bag immediately.
• When finished, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.
For further information, call the Delta County Health Department at 874-2165.blog comments powered by Disqus