What a great evening last Friday night was at the Creamery Arts Center. It was time for another exhibit opening and reception.
Danny and Lois Cotten were there showing off the many photographs that Danny has enlarged depicting what life was like in the North Fork Valley at the turn of the century and into the 1950s. Danny knew the history behind every black and white scene. It was pure delight to see the images and learn of the people, events and activities of old.
Among the photographs was one of the 1911 Crawford girls' basketball team.
Another showed the Gould Reservoir in 1912. The Gould Reservoir was begun in 1901.
Photographs showed what farm and ranch life was like 100 years ago.
One photograph, which Cotten took recently, showed a building that was built before the Ute Indians signed a treaty and were moved from the area. Diamond Joe built the cabin and had cattle at that time. Next the Hartmans came in. Hartman was a brother to the man who had the Indian trading post in Gunnison. Hartman added on to the original Diamond Joe cabin. The building remains today in Crystal Creek on the Rockwell Ranch.
Another photograph shows a flour mill water wheel that still exists in Crawford on private land. It was built in 1917. Lund Brothers Milling was in operation until 1962.
Another shows the old Crawford School which burnt to the ground on Dec. 12, 1912, and the "new" school which today is town hall. Danny was able to dig up a photograph that proved the "new" school had glass doors until kids threw rocks and destroyed them. Then the school was equipped with wooden doors. Windows were covered on the outside with a wire mesh to protect them from getting broken.
One photograph from 1934 shows four bridges over the river at Sapinero. Cotten explained that no one will ever see that view again because it's all under the Blue Mesa Reservoir now.
Other photographs showed how the downtowns in Hotchkiss and Paonia looked and what was left of one bridge after a 1912 flood.
One scene showed a passenger train in Paonia.
Creamery artists made their favorite chili for the reception. Those present had a taste of each and then voted for their favorite. People could purchase ceramic bowls for a big bowl of chili.
The exhibit will be there for one month.
If you enjoyed the exhibit and meeting the Cottens, you might like to go over to Memorial Hall on Saturday, Jan. 19, from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Members of the Cotten family will present their history in the North Fork Valley.blog comments powered by Disqus