The Delta Police Department offers these school safety tips for parents and their elementary students:
1. Teach your children to always take a friend with them when walking or biking, and stay with a group while standing at the bus stop.
Make sure they know which bus to ride.
2. Walk the route to and from school with your children pointing out landmarks and safe places to go if they're being followed or need help. Teach your children they should never take shortcuts and always stay in well-lit areas.
3. It is not safe for younger children to walk to and from school, even in a group. Parents should always provide supervision for younger children to help ensure their safe arrival to and from school. If your children wait for a bus, wait with them or make arrangements for supervision at the bus stop.
4. Teach your children that if anyone bothers them or makes them feel scared or uncomfortable to trust their feelings and immediately get away from that person. Teach them it is okay not to be polite and it is okay to say no.
5. Teach your children if anyone tries to take them somewhere, they should resist by kicking and screaming for help. If grabbed, draw attention by kicking and screaming HELP this person is trying to take me away or this person in not my father/mother.
6. Teach your children not to accept a ride from anyone unless you have said it is okay in that instance. If anyone follows them in a vehicle, they should turn around and walk in the other direction, and run to a trusted adult who may help them.
7. Teach your children that grownups should not ask children for directions, they should ask an adult.
8. Teach your children to never accept money or gifts from anyone unless you have told them it is okay to accept.
9. Make sure the school has current and accurate emergency contact information on file for your children and confirm names of those authorized.
10. Always know where your children will be. Teach your children to always check first before changing their plans before or after school. Teach your children to never leave school with anyone, including a friend, unless they check first with you or another trusted adult, even if someone tells them it is an emergency.
It is not up to the school to prepare your child for the dangers, but up to the parent.
For more information, contact the Delta Police Department at 874-7676.blog comments powered by Disqus