It's that time of year again, another round of rate hearings by DMEA to solicit member/owner comments on the inevitable increase in electricity rates. We all know the drill.
It never changes. The general manager shows the chart that the local DMEA office represents about 30% of the rate, while the Tri-State wholesale rate makes up the remaining 70%. It is all Tri-State's fault, and there is nothing the general manager nor the board can do about it except pass the increase in wholesale costs on to the membership. The local budget is cut to the bone. With a hint and a wink the meeting concludes. Few people attend and why? Our representatives on the board say there is nothing they can do, and they are right!
There is a governance problem with rural electrics, either by accident or design, and rural electric consumers suffer for it. The only real solution is competition, which by state law does not exist in Colorado. The other is more regulation, and we have enough of that! I encourage all of you to contact your state representatives to sponsor a bill to open Colorado's wholesale electric market up to competiton. It is time for electric consumers to have a choice in who provides their electricity, and how that electricity is produced. This is the only way to make the wholesale electric suppliers accountable.