St. Philip Benizi Catholic Church will be celebrating its 100th anniversary on Sunday, May 12. Bishop Fernando Isern will be on hand to join the congregation in celebrating this significant milestone.
Along with the anniversary, they will celebrate Mother's Day, First Communion, Fr. Canice Enyiaka's birthday and the blessing of the Knights of Columbus 10 Commandments.
Mass will be celebrated at 8 a.m., followed with a brunch in St. Ann's Hall. The church is located at 290 N.W. Cedar Avenue in Cedaredge.
Marilyn Stumpf, parish coordinator for St. Philip Benizi, submitted this brief history:
The first church in Cedaredge was built in 1913 on the land where the current church now stands. Mass was celebrated once a month for about 15 families.
In 1958, the necessity for a new church was quite obvious. The big question was fund raising. The ladies of the parish served at every gathering they could find. They had a reputation of being "the best cooks in the valley."
The new church was dedicated on Sept.22, 1968, by Bishop Charles Buswell. In 1983, again they were outgrowing the building, so construction of a catechetical center and west wing began. The new addition, named St. Ann's Hall, was dedicated by Bishop Arthur Tafoya on June 22, 1984.
She added, "What a joy for everyone who has passed through these doors these past 100 years. All of us here have been truly blessed with this wonderful parish family."blog comments powered by Disqus