The community is mourning the loss of a Cedaredge High School senior while praying for the recovery of two other students, all of whom were overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday night.
Reid Gates, a CHS senior, died Monday afternoon in a Denver hospital.
Aaron Henrie, also a senior, is hospitalized in critical condition, while the condition of Tyler Cooper, a sophomore, is listed as good.
Gates, Henrie and Cooper spent Saturday night in a camper housed inside a shed at one of the students' homes on Happy Hollow Road. According to Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee, a generator located in the enclosed space was the source of the carbon monoxide, an odorless, toxic gas. It was clearly a tragic accident, he added.
The three boys were transported to Delta County Memorial Hospital shortly before noon Sunday, Sept. 8. They were later airlifted to the Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center in Denver.
Hospital spokesman Angie Anania reported on the teens' conditions Tuesday afternoon. Tyler Cooper is conscious and is being treated in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. Aaron Henrie is also in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. He is in critical condition, but still fighting, according to a message conveyed from his mother.
The tragic accident claimed the life of an outstanding CHS athlete. Reid, a running back for the Bruins, was the leading rusher in Friday night's 34-20 victory over Olathe. The team's first touchdown came on a 59-yard run by Gates. He also excelled in basketball and track, where he competed in sprint distances, long jump, high jump and discus. He was the state 3A champion in high jump in 2013, and placed in both the long jump and the 100-meter dash.
On Facebook, Reid's sister Jheri thanked everyone for their support. "Our hearts are broken, but we are at peace knowing that he passed painlessly and he will be saving lives through organ donations," she wrote.blog comments powered by Disqus