In 1987, state champion wrestler and long-time coach, Darrel Hafling, published "Faded Glory: The Colorado High School State Wrestling Tournament 1936 through 1986."
The book includes highlights of state tournaments, all brackets, and shows the transition from an all-class tournament and the evolution of the weight classes.
Here's a chance to test your knowledge of local school competition in those early state tournaments.
All questions are based on the information in Faded Glory. Answers appear on C8.
1. What year was the first Colorado State High School tournament held?
2. Which school won the first state wrestling tournament?
3. Which Western Slope team was runner-up at the first tournament? And who was the coach?
4. How many weight classes were included in the first state tournament?
5. What year was the classification of "heavyweight" added to the state tournament format?
6. Of the four Delta County schools, Delta, Cedaredge, Hotchkiss and Paonia, which school claimed the first state team title, and which year?
7. What year did the state go from an all-class tournament to a two-division tournament?
8. Who was the first four-time state champion? For which school did he wrestle, and which years?
9. Who was the first state champion for Paonia High School. What year did he earn the title?
10. In 1985, which Hotchkiss wrestler pinned all four opponents at 167 pounds to win his second state title?
11. What year was Cedaredge first represented at the state tournament?
12. Who was the first state champion for Cedaredge?
13. Dale Stryker was the second four-time state champion. For which two schools did he wrestle?
14. What year did CHSAA go from two divisions to Class A, AA and AAA?
15. Between 1936 and 1986, which Western Slope school, Montrose or Grand Junction, earned the most state titles?blog comments powered by Disqus