Cedaredge's third spring street festival, Celebrate Cedaredge, featured this year another round of presentations for local buildings that have been included in the town's historic register.
Brass plaques were presented for the owners of three buildings to display on the outsides of their structures and which indicate they have been included in the town's historic register and Heritage Trail historic walking tour. (See related story on C2.)
One of the three buildings designated on Saturday was the Cedaredge Community United Methodist Church. The historic "stone church on the corner" is closely associated with the career of pastor and educator Rev. James Hunsicker.
The Cedaredge High School building, built in 1920 and which has served as the middle school and now as part of the elementary school, received a plaque. The building also had previously been included in the state register of historic places.
And a building which served as the office and production plant for the Surface Creek Champion received designation. According to the town's historic preservation committee, it was built in 1906 by Clyde W. Brewer who operated the paper until retirement in 1943. The building is located at 180 W. Main Street.
There were some 50 vendor booths set up on Main Street for this year's event. Dozens of people browsed the area through the morning and early afternoon under sunny skies as they visited with friends.
On Dec. 4 Delta County Commissioners Doug Atchley, Mark Roeber and Don Suppes denied the application of Paonia Holdings, LLC for a change of land use for the property at 41322 Highway 133, with an adjacent residence at 41402 Highway 133 and an ancillary property at 16180 Stevens Gulch Road.
The property is owned by Bowie Resources, LLC, and was formerly used as a coal load-out site.