Tuesday August 04, 2015

The Forest Service, working with Mesa, Garfield, Montrose and Gunnison counties is seeking individuals interested in serving on a 15-person resource advisory committee (RAC) to solicit, review, recommend and monitor projects that promote healthy landscapes, benefit watersheds and accomplish needed work on the ground.  The RAC oversees funding that is authorized by Congress under the Secure Rural Schools Act and under Title II of the Act, returns monies to Garfield, Gunnison, Mesa and Montrose counties on the GMUG National Forest to accomplish resource-based project work on National Forest System lands.

Twelve members of the RAC have elected to renew their appointments; however, the GMUG RAC is in need of three additional members, and three alternate members who are willing to replace any members should they become unable to continue serving in the future.
According to Deputy Forest Supervisor Russ Bacon, “We are looking for people who want to contribute their time and energy to better the Forest and who enjoy working with other people.”
The RAC is composed of a wide representation of interests including forest users, industry, environmental, tribal, educational, county representatives and more.  Members are not compensated for their time; however, travel expenses may be reimbursed. All RAC members must be residents of Colorado.
The GMUG RAC has been operating for the past four years and to date, has recommended over 32 projects totaling over $2 million dollars for restoration and improvement projects. Some of these include relocating trails out of riparian areas; road improvements to support water quality; noxious/invasive weed treatments; and replacing/resizing culverts to prevent overflow and establish fish passage.
For additional information contact Lee Ann Loupe at 874-6717 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or visit the GMUG website at

Subscribe Today!

Subscribe today and get the DCI
delivered weekly to your mailing address.

If you want to support your community newspaper,
but do not want to receive a printed newspaper, please consider making a donation . . .

S5 Box