Poisoned cat: A sick waste of life
By G.O. Nelson
Published Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:12 pm
This is an open letter to those who poison animals with antifreeze. It is so easy to put out antifreeze to kill an animal as you turn your back, like it is no big deal. Let me fill you in on what happens to that animal.
Antifreeze poisoning happens in two phases. Phase one, the animal typically appears lethargic, disoriented, uncoordinated and groggy. Symptoms usually appear 30 minutes to one hour after ingestion and can last for several hours. The second phase, which can last up to three days, is characterized by symptoms such as vomiting, oral and gastric ulcers, kidney failure, coma and death. Does that sound pleasant to you?
I'll bet you have never sat up all night with an animal that is going through an agonizing death. I recently had the opportunity of doing just that with a very loving cat. Our cat had been missing for three days. She was in such bad shape when we found her, I knew there was nothing that could be done for her. I had our veterinarian do blood work on her and the results were consistent with an animal that had ingested antifreeze. We had to have her euthanized. What a sick waste of life.
The second tragedy of this selfish act was having to tell our young niece that the cat we were going to give her was dead.
Let us not forget that antifreeze mixed in, say, cat food also attracts lots of other wildlife such as eagles, owls, etc.
I believe those who cause animals to suffer a lingering death have little regard for life itself.