Redeemer celebrates 70th anniversary
By Press Release
Published Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:31 am
On Sunday, Jan. 17, Redeemer Lutheran Church in Delta will celebrate several milestones -- the 70th anniversary as Redeemer Evangelical Lutheran Church, 20 years of the beautiful facility at 1000 Pioneer Road, and 15 years of educating youngsters at the Tiny Treasures Preschool. Community members are invited to a 9 a.m. worship service, which will be followed by a potluck dinner and a program.
The parish of Redeemer Lutheran Church started as a series of preaching stations for Pastor Martin Mayer Jr. of Grand Junction. Services for the people of Delta, Olathe and Montrose were held at the IOOF hall in Olathe. Services for the Lutherans in Cedaredge and Paonia were held in those towns.
By May 1945, services for the people of Delta, Olathe and Montrose were shifted to the state armory in Delta. In the same year, a custom was started of having a combined communion service in Delta every other month for all towns of the parish. The purpose was to strengthen the tie of Lutheranism throughout the parish and to provide a feeling of common faith before the Lord's Altar.
On Jan. 13, 1946, by vote of parish members, the mission fields were consolidated under the name Redeemer Lutheran Church with branches at Paonia and Cedaredge. Members living in Paonia later organized under the name of Immanuel Lutheran Church.
In the regular meeting of Jan. 12, 1945, the first permanent officers were elected -- F.J. Wagner, Delta, chairman; Pastor Earl Krupp, Delta, secretary; Dewey Miller, Montrose, treasurer; and deacons Harold Baumbach, Delta, and Clarence Whitener, Olathe. At the same meeting the pastor and deacons were empowered to solve the problem of a place to worship. In March 1947 they purchased four lots on the southwest corner of 12th and Grand in Delta. A new church building was dedicated in May 1953.
In November 1992, the church purchased a four-acre site at the corner of Pioneer Road and Cherry Lane. Construction of the 12,500-square-foot building started in June 1995. The new church and educational building were dedicated on May 5, 1996.
On March 13, 2001, after many years of researching and planning, Redeemer Lutheran Church established Tiny Treasures Preschool.
Currently, the church is led by Rev. Kurt Van Fossan, who has served as church pastor since September 2014.
Redeemer is a member of The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS), the second largest Lutheran church body in North America. The LCMS is an organization of over 6,000 congregations across the United States with partnerships with over 25 church bodies around the world.
More information is available by calling the church at 874-3052.