Serenity Run rolls into Cedaredge this weekend
By Hank Lohmeyer
Published Thursday, July 28, 2016 8:54 am
File photo Riders on their big, shiny motorcycles will begin arriving in Cedaredge on Thursday as the 31st Serenity Run begins.
The 31st annual Serenity Run is scheduled to roll into Cedaredge July 28 through 31, a change from the event's past first-weekend-of-August venue.
Headquarters for the event, according to the International Serenity Run's website, will be the Big Spruce Campground, 24862 Ute Trail Road north of Cedaredge.
The event provides some local entertainment as the Run participants ride around town on their big, shiny motorcycles, and local businesses enjoy an economic development boost from spending the event brings.
During the Run there will be a pancake breakfast at the community center, poker run ending with cookout at the campground, a scavenger hunt in place of bike games, a Friday night dance at the campground, and a Saturday night speaker meeting also at the campground.
Event organizers told the DCI that the schedule of events will proceed as follows:
• The traditional welcome dinner hosted by the Cedaredge Assembly of God Church will be offered to arriving riders from 4 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, July 28.
• Friday, the first full day of the run, will begin with a VFW-hosted pancake breakfast at the Cedaredge Civic Center from 7 to 10 a.m.
• Organizers report there will be a poker run on Friday with a cookout at Big Spruce in the evening. The annual dance will take place there also with live music provided by local musicians. Everyone in the community is welcome to attend the Serenity Run events, organizers say.
• Saturday will begin with another VFW pancake breakfast from 7 to 10 a.m.
• Riders will begin forming up at the campground for the annual parade following Saturday's breakfast and expect to begin arriving in town in the 10:30 to 11 a.m. time frame, give or take.
• There will be a scavenger hunt, raffle, and various 12-step meetings throughout the event along with a featured speaker.
• On Sunday, everyone packs, pays respects and heads out for home.
The International Serenity Run organization states its purpose as follows: "The Run was established to further the principles, ideals, and traditions of 12-step recovery among clean and sober motorcycle riders by providing a place where all clean and sober riders could gather annually in friendship in the spirit of fellowship to share their new lives out and in recovery."