The Western Colorado Community Foundation (WCCF) has committed $184,270 in scholarship awards to support 50 Delta County students over the next four years of their college career. WCCF manages nearly 40 scholarship funds across western Colorado, and 17 of those funds are specifically for Delta County students. In addition to renewed awards for students currently enrolled in college, the students below received the following scholarship awards:
• Kay Armstrong Scholarship -- Parker Katzdorn, Emily Nortnik, Gabriel Rodriguez, Brittany Thliveris and Megan Toothaker.
• Caddo Scholarship -- Timothy Helmer and Colter Wagner.
• Delta High School General Scholarship -- Meysa Mulford and Colby Simpson.
• Didrickson-Niles Scholarship -- Matthew Bohling, Hannah Branson, Skylar Hoage, Macy O'Rourke, Brooke Toothaker, Courtney VanVleet, Colter Wagner and Raphael Wick.
• Richard W. McGuire Jr. Memorial Scholarship -- Monique Archibeque and David Husmann.
• Lena Sammons Reed Scholarship -- Joseph Nault. In addition, 18 college students were awarded Lena Sammons Reed scholarships.
Wheeler Scholarship -- Cristina Caballero, Roggen Frick, Alexis Triantos and Alexeea Wilson.
•Jeanette Wilkinson Scholarship -- Makayla Mills and Nathan Sanders.
•Willson Education Scholarship -- Dylan Ashby, Joseph Nault and Lacey Rodriguez.
•Edith May Cox Scholarship -- Nacona Baldwin.
•Dorothy Crousen Art Scholarship -- Elena Niermann.
•Weldon Crousen Citizenship Scholarship -- Caralyn Littlefield.
• Leitzinger-Hallenbeck Scholarship -- Lacey Rodriguez.
• Fred and Ruby MacKendrick Scholarship -- Haley Park.
• Thomas Ward Osborn Vocational Scholarship -- McKenna Erickson.
• Stanway Scholarship -- Dylan Ashby.
• J. Robert Young Scholarship -- Colby Simpson.
The Western Colorado Community Foundation is celebrating twenty years of managing charitable funds for community good across the seven counties it serves, including Delta County. The Community Foundation awards over $2.5 million in grants and scholarships annually and manages over $60 million in total assets.
Delta Volunteer Fire Department (DVFD) will be holding its annual fireworks show at Confluence Park on Wednesday, July 4, having received approval from Delta City Council at the council's June 5 meeting.
The DVFD has 28 volunteers and expects to have eight to 10 firefighters from Cedaredge join them this year.