Who do you call?

By Don Benjamin

In the interest of public health and safety, CDOT removes animal carcasses from any state highway, U.S. highway, or interstate. According to Lisa Schwantes, Regional Public Relations Manager for the Western Slope, anyone wishing to report a carcass or debris on such roadways should contact CDOT's Northwest Region-3 hotline: 970-243-2368. The hotline is staffed Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. but a message can be left at any time. Callers should be prepared to provide the following information: a description of the debris or carcass, number/name of the roadway, nearest mile post marker if known, and any other familiar landmarks that will help pin-point the location.

If contacted regarding dead wildlife, the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife (DPW) will refer the public elsewhere. However DPW does respond to calls concerning sick or injured wildlife and the agency may be able to assist with issues of wildlife causing property damage or threatening public safety. The DPW Montrose office can be reached at 970-252-6000, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed for lunch 1-2:00 p.m.). For an after-hours wildlife emergency, contact the Colorado State Patrol at 970-249-4392.