401 Meeker St Delta CO 81416 970.874.4421

Animal control duties defined

Related Articles
  Email   Print

The Cedaredge trustees, acting on Oct. 20, approved an operations agreement with Friends of Cedaredge Animal Control (FCAC). Among procedures in the agreement are ones dealing with how animals will be dealt with in various situations by the town animal control officer. The agreement states the following:

"The FCAC will admit all stray dogs delivered to the shelter by the [town animal control officer]. The animal control officer will contact the Surface Creek Shelter emergency number each time a dog is brought into the shelter, to receive instructions on where to house the dog, unless a shelter technician is on duty, then the technician will house the dog. In an emergency situation outside regular shelter hours (regular shelter hours 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily) the officer may secure a dog in the designated outside run. If the weather does not permit kenneling the dog outside, the officer may house the dog inside, and notify the FCAC at that time."

If dealing with a vicious dog, the following procedure is prescribed for the town animal officer: "In the event that the officer encounters a vicious dog that presents an immediate threat to the safety and welfare of the community, and the officer is unable to identify or contact the dog's owner, the officer will contact the shelter manager and request that they accept the dog. If the shelter manager declines the dog, the dog's care will be left to the discretion of the Cedaredge Police Department."

If animals need immediate medical care, the following are the officer's responsibilities: "If a dog impounded by the officer is in need of immediate veterinary care and the owner cannot be located, the officer will transport the dog to any available veterinarian and notify the shelter manager. All veterinarian care expenses will be the responsibility of the town until the shelter assumes responsibility of the dog."

And finally, the agreement states, "When the Cedaredge Police Department is contacted regarding a stray dog, outside hours of the animal officer's availability, the police officer on duty will attempt to contact the animal officer. If the animal officer is not available to respond, the officer may assist the public in housing the dog in an outside kennel, factoring in reasonable weather conditions if kenneling is over two hours. The finder's contact information will be provided to the FCAC by the animal officer."

Read more from:
Surface Creek
Animal Control, Cedaredge
  Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: