As the county moves forward with its master plan rewrite process and simultaneously with a master county trails plan, there may also be an effort to look at, and perhaps make changes in, the composition of the county planning commission to ensure it represents the entire county fairly and equally.
Commissioner Don Suppes suggested an evaluation of the planning commission because it has only one member from his commissioner district #2. That is chairman Dick Disner of Cedaredge.
There are seven members on the county planning commission now. Statute may allow as many as nine members. Representation on the county planning commission is apportioned not by population as with the commissioner districts, but rather by area planning committee membership. There are three APCs in commissioner district #3 (North Fork Valley) but only one each in commissioner districts #1 (Delta) and #2 (Surface Creek).
Suppes suggested that in order to ensure there is fair and equal representation from all areas of the county during the master plan rewrite process, the county planning commission should have more membership from the Surface Creek area. Representation based on population of commissioner districts would also mean more members from the Delta area.
The planning commission is to be a lead county agency in the master plan rewrite process, according to county administrator Robbie LeValley. A core group of county staff and professional planners are also working with the professional planning consultant who is driving the master plan rewrite process.
County staff is to research the applicable state statutes and report back for further discussion with the BoCC about the planning commission composition.
In other business at their Monday, Feb. 6 regular business meeting, the county commissioners dealt with the following matters:
• The county will receive a $71,375 cash grant from DOLA to pay half the cost of phases 3 and 4 of the master plan rewrite process. The county's matching portion will consist of approximately $30,000 cash and $40,000 of in-kind services. The total cost for phases 3 and is $142,750. County staff reports that phases 1 and 2 cost about $100,000 total with half paid by DOLA for a total project cost of approximately $242,750.
• E. A. Greco of Stingly Gulch Road reminded the commissioners she has submitted a letter asking to be appointed to a vacancy on the Leroux Creek Area Planning Committee.
• Commissioners appointed two members to the county library board. Lisa Mock was appointed to a term serving an at-large position. Judy Briscoe will represent the Paonia area.
• Commissioners received a quarterly report from the Blake Field airport managers. Operations there are continuing on a normal basis, and many pilots with aircraft based at other fields visit Blake for flying practice.
• The jail report stated 43 inmates in detention and seven in work release on Feb. 6; and, 37 in detention with nine in work release on Jan. 30.
• Commissioners approved the $4,000 purchase of a road culvert installing tool for road district #1.
• Commissioners ratified warrants for bills payable between Jan. 14 and Jan. 27 in the amount of $211.001; and, also ratified county November payroll of $1.068 million.
• Commissioners agreed to lease a portion of its North (Road) Gravel Pit property for cattle grazing.
• Commissioners committed $5,000 for remodeling of the old City Market building in Delta to become the school district's Engage Innovation center.
• At the request of State Senator Kerry Donovan, commissioners will communicate their support for Senate Bill 22 which if adopted would provide money to DOLA for small counties impacted with significant job loss.
• Commissioners adopted the county's annual operations plan, a compilation of protocols for dealing with emergency situations.
Two of the four marijuana questions on the November ballot were narrowly approved by voters in the City of Delta. Measure 2F allows the establishment of medical marijuana centers. Measure 2H permits the establishment of medical marijuana cultivation, testing, research and manufacturing facilities.