Bruins football is back on the field, and had their first game this past Friday. Though they played a tough game, the team came away with a loss on the road.

The Cedaredge High School Bruins lost 28-13 to Montezuma-Cortez Panthers.

“Our first game looked like a first game in many ways,” said coach Craig Cerise. “You always get some mistakes like missed tackles, but we also have a lot of first time starters, so there are a few more learning moments than normal. We also had some injuries throughout the game and had to fill in with younger kids, but they did great stepping up.”

According to Cerise, the game started off with a bang when his team returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown by Luke Maxey. The team moved the ball well in the first quarter, but couldn’t score again.

Montezuma-Cortez scored its only touchdown of the first half in the first quarter on a blown coverage. No one scored in the second quarter and the Bruins went into half up 7-6.

“We kicked off in the second half and had a good series on defense,” Cerise said. “We had a few plays in a row where we sacked their QB or tackled them for a loss and forced a punt.”

The Bruins attempted a fair catch around their 40 yard line but dropped the return and Montezuma-Cortez recovered the ball. The Panthers ended up scoring their second touchdown of the game putting them up at 14-7 after they completed a pass for a 2 point conversion.

Later in the game, the Bruins had the ball inside their 20 yard line and had to punt. Unfortunately, they had a bad snap on the punt and the Panthers ended up with the ball at the Bruins’ 3 yard line and scored right after that.

When the Panthers kicked off to the Bruins, Cerise said, Logan Tullis returned that kickoff for a touchdown but they missed the PAT.

The Panthers went on to score one more touchdown on a pass from about 25 yards out in the fourth quarter, with a failed 2 point conversion pass.

“We had a big pass to Brady Cooper for about 30 yard on our next drive and we were inside their 15 yard line again,” the coach said. “On 4th down, we had a good pass play into the end zone to a wide open WR, but it appeared he lost the ball in the lights and it fell incomplete.”

Senior Ty Walck led the team as the quarterback. He had 9 completions for 82 passing yards. He had only 1 interception.

According to the coach some standout players included sophomore Luke Maxey who had the kickoff return and an interception in the end zone. Brady Cooper, a freshman, had two real big long catches. Walck did his best to lead the offense, but he was also a leader on the defense and led the team in tackles, Cerise added.

Going forward the team will continue to prepare backups to be ready to play. There were a number of players who came out of the game for a play or two with cramps and other things, so other players had to be put in.

The Bruins play again at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 10, at home against Coal Ridge.

Load comments